03 November 2010
Friendly Zombie Cupcakes
Have you ever met a vegan zombie? Now you have with these Friendly Vegan Zombie Cupcakes via Laura of Pansy Maiden, vegan superstar member of Boston Handmade! Laura found this recipe on VegWeb, and even though it is a few days after Halloween, Zombies never go out of style:
1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 cup vegan granulated sugar
1/4 cup shredded coconut
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 cup water
1/3 cup oil
1 tablespoon vanilla
1 tablespoon white vinegar
1/2 cup cherry pie filling or "red" jam
Vanilla Glaze (recipe below)
When you eat these friendly zombies you will find a surprise inside--their fruity brains! Finally, a sweet revenge.
1. In a bowl, combine flour, sugar, coconut, baking soda, and salt.
2. In another bowl, combine water, oil, vanilla, and vinegar. Combine wet and dry.
3. Prepare 12 cupcake liners in a pan. Fill each just under half full with the batter. Spoon into the middle about 2 teaspoons (a small spoonful or so) of the pie filling/jam. Cover with more cake batter until the liner is full, but not overflowing.
4. Bake at 350 degrees F for about 25 minutes; start checking after 15 to 20 minutes (my oven is a bit special and my cook times are always a little off). Once the tops are just brown and a toothpick comes out clean, remove from oven and let cool all the way.
5. Once cooled, make the "Vanilla Glaze" or use your own frosting recipe. Dust with powdered sugar if you want to give them a nice "dusty" face. Then decorate with chocolate chips, dried fruits, nuts, more coconut, or anything else that looks tasty.
Then you have a friendly zombie cupcake that you can eat the brains of!
1 tablespoon + 1 teaspoon nondairy milk
1 teaspoon canola oil
1/4 teaspoon vanilla
1 cup powdered sugar
1. In a pan over low heat, warm nondairy milk, oil, and vanilla. Remove from heat.
2. Add powdered sugar. If you need it thicker, add a bit more powdered sugar.
3. Pour glaze over cake or other dessert immediately.
Preparation time: 10 minutes